The National Ocean Industries Association (NOIA) submitted comments on the proposed program for the next federal offshore oil and gas leasing program. NOIA’s comments highlight the myriad of ways Americans, and our allies, depend upon and benefit from a robust offshore oil and gas leasing program.
NOIA President Erik Milito said, “Energy prices remain stubbornly high, the global economic outlook is uncertain, and our allies need an alternative to higher-emitting Russian-produced energy. U.S. offshore leasing provides vast benefits for Americans of all walks of life. The diversity of individuals, businesses, civic groups, elected officials, and organizations submitting comments in favor of a strong domestic production is testament to how the U.S. offshore, and the Gulf of Mexico in particular, shines as an economic and energy wellspring characterized by low carbon emissions. The sensible path forward is the finalization of a robust offshore leasing program by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The benefits of the U.S. offshore are felt far beyond the Gulf Coast. Finalization of a robust national leasing program is fundamental to secure these benefits for the next generation.”
Not only is the completion of a leasing program with regularly scheduled lease sales legally required, but it lifts every American by bolstering our nation’s economic, energy, and national security. These benefits include:
- Enhances energy security
- Improves energy affordability
- Stimulates investment in American energy production
- Supports high-paying jobs
- Provides among the lowest carbon barrels in the world, with a commitment to safety and environmental performance
- Is characterized by innovation and advanced technologies
- Creates and support flourishing marine ecosystems
- Adheres to a strong system of safety and environmental protection
- Generates tremendous value for taxpayers, funding the Land & Water Conservation Fund, the Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program, and coastal resiliency and restoration
- Includes companies in the offshore oil and gas supply chain that play a key role in investing in, scaling, and deploying low carbon solutions
- Increases our national security
Read the NOIA comments here.
The National Ocean Industries Association (NOIA) represents and advances a dynamic and growing offshore energy industry, providing solutions that support communities and protect our workers, the public and our environment.