The National Maritime Center has updated its Frequently Asked Questions on the STCW final rule. The updates help guide mariners through the requirements of the STCW regulations, which took effect for new mariners on March 24 and take effect for existing mariners on Jan. 1, 2017. The revised FAQs now include information on:
- Grandfathering and transitional provisions for existing mariners.
- How to calculate a mariner’s personal deadline to complete “gap closing” courses such as leadership and basic training.
- Requirements for physical examinations for mariners submitting raise of grade applications.
- Applying sea service to voyages on the Inside Passage.
- Requirements for tankerman-engineer endorsements.
See the FAQs here.