Eastern Shipbuilding Group has delivered the second in a series of four Robert Allan-designed Z-Tech 2400 class terminal & escort tugs to Bay-Houston Towing Co.
The Zyana K was launched Feb. 19 at Eastern’s Nelson Street yard in Panama City, Fla. and delivered to Bay Houston on May 5. Eastern delivered the first tug in the series, the H. Douglas M, to Bay-Houston in February. The third tug in the series, David B, was launched on March 30 for delivery in June.
Eastern is simultaneously constructing an identical series of Z-Tech class tugs for Suderman & Young Towing Company, the first of which was launched in September.
G&H Towing Company is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Bay-Houston and Suderman & Young.
Designed by Robert Allan Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., the Z-Tech 2400 features the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel SRP 1215FP Z-Drives in nozzles
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1800 rpm marine diesel generator sets
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery DEPCF-48S-50HP electric hawser winch
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: U.S.