PORT OF NEW ORLEANS IS HIRING!
We are now hiring Dredge Chief Engineer, Pile Driver (Marine Based), Port Crane Technician & Port Facility Maintenance Master Mechanic
Dredge Chief Engineer
Starting salary depends upon qualifications:
$22.66/hr. to $25.12/hr.
WS-215 / Special Entrance Rate $22.66 / hr.
*THIS VACANCY QUALIFIES FOR $1.50 PREMIUM PAY*
Premium pay is additional pay provided to employees for each hour actually worked.
· Supervises operation of engines and activities of engine room crew while working either normal or extended around the clock shifts. On call 24 hours a day for all incidentals pertaining to engine room equipment operability.
· Assigns and inspects work of Marine Oilers and other subordinates.
· Oversees maintenance and repair of diesel engines, electric generators, and hydraulic and pneumatic systems, compressors, and other mechanical equipment.
· Inspects equipment for compliance with safety regulations.
· Implements a preventive maintenance program, carriers out the program conducting such procedures as inspection of equipment to determine need for maintenance, and maintains preventative maintenance records.
· Prepares and maintains an equipment history file.Loading and unloading materials and equipment.
Pile Drivers are responsible for tender maintenance and repair and will use pneumatic air tools daily. The position currently consists of working a forty (40) hour work week (Monday – Thursday) with overtime as necessary. Work will is both land and water based in nature.
PileDrivers are responsible for wharf maintenance and repair. The typical task of a PileDriver consists of the following:
- Use pneumatic air tools and gas/electric power tools daily.
- Use gas power chainsaws
- Use basic carpentry tools (i.e., tape measure, framing square, and hammers/mauls.
- Use basic mechanical tool (i.e., impacts, wrenches, and ratchets, etc.)
- Assist Crane operator in line up, breaking out, and replacing fender piles.
- Works with team to replace mooring bits by assisting Crane Operator in removing bots, basis and bits.
- Repair of mooring bit basis by performing light duty concrete work.
- Fabricate threaded bots using a pile threaded machine to secure fender piles.
Port Facility Maintenance Master Mechanic
*THIS VACANCY QUALIFIES FOR $1.50/hr. PREMIUM PAY*
*A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE IS REQUIRED*
- Overhaul, rebuild, and/or repair heavy equipment.
- Repair engines, transmissions, pneumatic systems, hydraulic systems, gear reduction systems electrical systems, suspension systems, brake systems, exhaust emission control systems, etc.
- Use visual and audible inspection to diagnose problems with heavy equipment.
- Perform diagnostic tests to locate malfunctions of the various systems and determine necessary repairs.
- Select the best work procedures to accomplish repair.
- Perform routine maintenance, such as oil changes, on vehicles and equipment to keep them in good working order.
- Assist other departments in maintenance of the District's buildings and facilities.
As part of a Career Progression Group, vacancies may be filled from this recruitment as an (Port Crane Technician 1, Port Crane Technician 2, Port Crane Technician 3, or Port Crane Technician 4) depending on the level of experience of the selected applicant(s). Please refer to the ‘Job Specifications’ tab located at the top of the LA Careers ‘Current Job Opportunities’ page of the Civil Service website for specific information on salary ranges, minimum qualifications and job concepts for each level.
Salary ranges are listed below for the various positions.
Starting salary depends upon qualifications:
WS-215 / Special Entrance Rate $22.66
WS-216 / Special Entrance Rate $24.25
WS-218 / Special Entrance Rate $26.79
WS-219 / Special Entrance Rate $31.97
Port NOLA offers competitive benefits that prioritize safety, health and wellness for our employees. Employees have access to the following benefits:
· Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance
· Health Savings Account (HSA)
· Medical and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
· Life Insurance options
· Long Term Disability Plan
· State of Louisiana LASERS state pension program
· Deferred Compensation Plan (457 plan) with employer match
· Paid Louisiana State Holidays; and paid Annual and Sick Leave
· Wellness Center located in the Port Administration Building
· Ship Shape Wellness Program
No Civil Service test score is required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities. Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
*Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completed education and experience sections on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.*
For further information about this vacancy contact:
Port of New Orleans / Human Resources
P.O. Box 60046
New Orleans, LA 70160