Eastern Shipbuilding Group has launched the fourth in a series of four Robert Allan-designed Z-Tech 2400 class terminal & escort tugs for Bay-Houston Towing Co.
The Laura B was launched July 1 at Eastern’s Nelson Street yard in Panama City, Fla., and is scheduled to deliver later this year. The H. Douglas M, Zyana K and David B all were delivered to Bay-Houston earlier this year.
Eastern is simultaneously constructing an identical series of Z-Tech class tugs for Suderman & Young Towing Company, the first of which was launched in September.
G&H Towing Company is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Bay-Houston and Suderman & Young.
Designed by Robert Allan Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., the Z-Tech 2400 features the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel SRP 1215FP Z-Drives in nozzles
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1800 rpm marine diesel generator sets
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery DEPCF-48S-50HP electric hawser winch
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: U.S.