Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Panama City, Fla., has delivered the third in a series of four 5,150-hp Robert Allan-designed Z-Tech 2400-class terminal and escort tugs to Suderman & Young Towing Company.
The Oceanus was delivered July 29, following the Neptune (delivered in March) and the lead vessel in the series, the Triton, which was delivered to the Houston-based tug operator late last year.
Eastern is simultaneously constructing an identical series of Z-Tech tugs for Bay-Houston Towing, and on June 15 delivered the third tug in that series, the David B. The first tug in the series, the H. Douglas M, was delivered to Bay-Houston in February.
G&H Towing Company is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Bay-Houston and Suderman & Young.
Designed by Robert Allan Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia, the Z-Tech 2400 tugs feature the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 hp @ 1,600 rpm
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engine
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel SRP 1215FP Z-drives in nozzles
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1,800 rpm marine diesel generator-drive engine
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery DEPCF-48S-50HP electric hawser winch
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: U.S.