During the Passenger Vessel Association annual convention, members of the PVA elected Dave Anderson of Fire Island Ferries as PVA president for 2015. The convention took place at MariTrends 2015, held Jan. 31 – Feb. 3 in Long Beach, Calif.
Dave Anderson is general manager/director of operations of Fire Island Ferries, Bay Shore, N.Y., on Long Island. The company has provided passenger service, freight service and water taxi service to Fire Island communities since 1948 and operates 23 subchapter T and K vessels ranging from 6 to 400 passengers. Fire Island Ferries has been an active member of PVA since the association’s inception.
Anderson holds a 100 ton Masters license and serves on the Coast Guard’s Sector Long Island Sound Area Maritime Security Committee, Harbor Safety Committee, FSO and CSO Security Committee, and the Committee for the Sector’s Maritime Transportation System and Recovery Plan. He is also a former chairman of the PVA Safety and Security Committee.
Also elected to terms as PVA Officers for 2015 were:
- PVA vice president: Margo Marks, Beaver Island Boat Company, Charlevoix, Mich.
- PVA secretary-treasurer: Jeff Whitaker, Hudson River Cruises, Kingston, N.Y.
In addition, the following individuals were elected to the PVA Board of Directors:
- Jim DeSimone, Staten Island Ferries, Staten Island, N.Y.
- Alison Nolan, Boston Harbor Cruises, Boston, Mass.
- Coleen Stephens, Stan Stephens Glacier and Wildlife Cruises, Valdez, Alaska
- Jim Swindler, Golden Gate Ferries, Larkspur, Calif.