Eastern Shipbuilding Group Inc. has launched the first of four Z-Tech 2400-class escort tugs for Suderman & Young Towing Company, Houston. The 80’x38’3”x15’9” Triton was launched at Eastern’s Nelson Street facility in Panama City, Fla. on Sept. 11 and is scheduled for delivery before the end of the year.
Eastern is also constructing an identical series of four tugs for Bay Houston Towing Company. Robert Allan LTD of Vancouver, B.C. designed and engineered the Z-Tech 2400-class. G&H Towing Company is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery, and will operate the vessels after delivery. G&H Towing’s fleet currently includes eight Z-Tech tugs in operation.
The Triton Z-Tech 2400 features the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel Model SRP 1215FP in Nozzles Z-Drives
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1800 RPM marine diesel generator sets
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery Fairleader 50HP Electric Hawser winch, Model DEPCF-48S, 36” wide Drum Mid-drum brake holding capacity 300,000 lbs
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: United States of America