Eastern Shipbuilding Group Inc. has launched the first escort tug in a series of four Z-Tech class terminal and escort tugs for Bay Houston Towing Company.
The 80’x38’3”x15’x9” H. Douglas M was launched at Eastern’s Nelson Street facility in Panama City, Fla. on Nov. 17 and is scheduled for delivery in early 2016.
Eastern is simultaneously constructing an identical series of Z-Tech class tugs for Suderman & Young Towing Company, the first of which was launched in September and is now completing regulatory trials.
G&H Towing Company is the Owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Bay-Houston and Suderman & Young.
Designed by Robert Allan Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., the Z-Tech 2400 features the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel SRP 1215FP Z-Drives in nozzles
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1800 rpm marine diesel generator sets
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery DEPCF-48S-50HP electric hawser winch
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: U.S.