Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Panama City, Fla., has delivered the second in a series of four 5,150-hp Robert Allan-designed Z-Tech 2400-class terminal and escort tugs to Suderman & Young Towing Company.
The Neptune was delivered March 28, following the lead vessel in the series, the Triton, which was delivered to the Houston-based tug operator late last year.
Eastern is simultaneously constructing an identical series of Z-Tech tugs for Bay-Houston Towing, and on March 30 launched the third tug in that series, the David B. In February, Eastern delivered the first tug in the series, the H. Douglas M, to Bay-Houston. The David B is scheduled to deliver later this year.
G&H Towing Company is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Bay-Houston and Suderman & Young.
Designed by Robert Allan Ltd., Vancouver, B.C., the Z-Tech 2400 tugs feature the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (overall): 80’x38’3”x15’9”
- Total horsepower: 5,150 hp @ 1,600 rpm
- Main engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engine
- Main propulsion: (2) Schottel SRP 1215FP Z-drives in nozzles
- Main generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99kW 480V @ 1,800 rpm marine diesel generator-drive engine
- Hawser winch: (1) Markey Machinery DEPCF-48S-50HP electric hawser winch
- Classification: ABS A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
- Flag: U.S.