Tour of the Thornton Brothers engine room

YouTube user FL92002 has a thing for transportation – planes, trains, and automobiles, as the old movie title goes. This week he turned his interests toward the tugboat Thornton Brothers, getting a tour of the engine room to watch the blow down and start up of the EMD 16-567CCL engine, built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors and original to the boat when it was built by Matton Shipyard, in Cohoes, N.Y., in 1958. 

The Thornton Brothers is currently owned by Marine Steel Transport Lines, of Allendale, N.J., but has a long history in the industry, having been owned by Morania Oil Company, Reinauer Towing, and Clearwater Marine Towing along the way. The vessel is 83.7’x25′, with a single screw and 1640 hp. 

It’s a little dark in the engine room, but they do go above deck a bit, too. Give it a look:

 

About the author

Workboat Staff

Leave A Reply

© Diversified Communications. All rights reserved.