North Carolina has had some form of ferry transportation since the mid-1920s when a private tug-and-barge service began operations across Oregon Inlet along the state’s Outer Banks.
In 1934, the state recognized the importance of the service to
residents and began subsidizing it. The state purchased the service in 1950.
In 1947, the North Carolina Department of Transportation purchased the ferry operation of T.A. Baum, who operated a route that ran across Croatan Sound and linked Manns Harbor and Roanoke Island. This became the first official route of the North Carolina Ferry Division.
The Ferry Division now has seven routes, 26 ferries and employs over 400 workers. A full-service shipyard, dredge, military-style landing craft utility vehicles, tugs, barges, and other support vessels support the ferry operations.
Source: North Carolina Department of Transportation